GRAFTON – What was thought to be a structure fire on West Wilford Street Monday morning caused the residents to be on the safe side and evacuate.
The Grafton Fire Department arrived at 15 West Wilford Street to see heavy black smoke coming from the house. Luckily, it was a chimney fire that was confined to the chimney area. Firefighters worked quite some time to put the fire out and clean the hot ashes out of the fireplace.
A thermal imaging camera was used to make sure the fire had not spread to any other parts of the building, and the house was declared to have no structural damage.
The Taylor County Emergency Squad and Grafton Police Department Lieutenant, Mike Kochka responded to the scene, while the Thornton Volunteer Fire Department stood by at the Grafton station.